Fleeing the Nazis after they closed the Bauhaus School of Berlin in 1933, Jewish architects, followers of Walter Gropius, metamorphosed Tel Aviv into an experimental laboratory of modernist ideas. Among them were Erich Mendelsohn, Richard Kauffmann, Genia Averbuch, Arieh Sharon, Dov Carmi, Zeev Rechter, Pinchas Hueth,and Joseph Neufeld.
Not to mention Shlomo Gepstein, who designed the Shlomo Yafe home, the setting for the Bauhaus Museum on Bialik Street, in the historical district of Tel Aviv. Renovated in 1996,it is the place where many walking tours commence. Coming from various countries, they built an exceptional quarter together, using modern, minimalist architecture in accordance with Bauhaus precepts that place human beings at the centre of all requirements. Housing must be primarily functional and simple, and open to the exterior.
There are about 1,500 buildings still standing, including 200 masterpieces that motivated its inclusion as a World Heritage Site in 2003.
Bauhaus Centre Tel Aviv
77 Dizengoff St
Tel Aviv 6433249
+972 03 5220249