Cosimo de Medici (called Cosimo the Elder) was looking to hide his fortune. He amassed it by skilfully investing in wool and international trade. It then grew even bigger when the Black Death brought forward the decline of the most powerful families in the city. In 1444, he therefore asked the architect Michelozzo di Bartolomeo Michelozzi to erect a building of modesty and religious austerity. The goldsmith and engraver at the Florence mint made the future home of the Medici an example of a Florentine palace with softly lit facades, a huge cornice, and a courtyard surrounded by a portico with ancient columns. After several changes of ownership, the palace reverted to the city of Florence in 1874, which still runs it today.
Do not miss the treasure buried in the chapel: the flamboyantly colourful The Procession of the Magi by Benozzo Gozzoli, a large and colourful work that covers three walls in the room. Also noteworthy, admire the ceiling fresco running the entire length of the hall of mirrors, The Apotheosis of the Medici, by Luca Giordano, a baroque painter of the Neapolitan school.
Palazzo Medici Riccardi
Via Cavour 1
+39 055 276 0552