The Terreaux are named after the embankments on which they were built. The place was fortified in the Middle Ages and turned into a market in the Renaissance. When it was paved in the 18th century, it gradually became the administrative and economic centre of the city, as the City Hall and Museum of Fine Arts still testify.
In 1892, an allegorical fountain by Garonne Bartholdi, creator of the Statue of Liberty, originally carved for the city of Bordeaux, was installed in the centre of the square. During the renovation of the square in 1994, the artist, Daniel Buren, complemented this fountain with 69 small column-shaped fountains in black and white.
In summer, thanks to the terraces that border it, Les Terreaux is one of the most popular meeting points for the youth of Lyon.
Place des Terreaux