The Pinakothek der Moderne is nicknamed the ‘Cathedral of Glass' because of its rotunda and saw-tooth glass roof. Built in 2002 by the Munich architect Stephan Braunfels, its 12,000 square metres house four museums: Modern Art; Decorative Arts and Design; Graphic Arts; and Architecture.
Its masterpieces of classical modernism include those by Beckmann, Kandinsky, Klee, Picasso, and Margritte. And those of the next generation, represented by Bacon, Baselitz, Beuys, Judd, de Koonig, Polke, Twombly, and Warhol are here, too.
There is also an impressive collection of works by Die Brucke (The Bridge), a group of expressionist artists founded in Dresden, and by Der Blaue Reiter (The Blue Rider), a group formed in Munich in 1911 by Wassily Kandinsky and others.
Pinakothek der Moderne
Barer Str. 40,
+49 (0)89 238 05 360