Founded in 1559 by Joan of Austria, this monastery with a late Gothic plateresque facade is housed in the former royal palace of Charles V, the Holy Roman Emperor. Attracting widows and single women without dowries, the Poor Clares convent emerged as one of the richest in Europe.
Transformed into a museum in 1960 by a papal dispensation, 20 nuns still live under its polychrome ceilings, which benefit from Titian's The Tribute Money, but also paintings by Coello, Murillo, and Brueghel, and 17th-century tapestries, including the Triumph of the Eucharist by Rubens.
Monasterio de las Descalzas Reales
Plaza de las Descalzas
+34 914 548 800