Go back in time to the end of the 19th century. The French population that colonised Oran keeps growing and the clergy feels the city does not have enough places of worship. Oran's bishop, His Grace Monseigneur Cantel decides to build a second cathedral. In order to do so, he took up his pilgrim's staff and went to France to raise funds.
Construction work began in 1904 and ended in 1913. The architect's plans were modified several times and adapted as a colonial counterpart to metropolitan models. If the building is blessed in 1930, it does not include its altar, which was built in reinforced concrete, a material not recognized by canon law. However, this detail also built its reputation: the Cathédrale du Sacré-Cœur was at the time the first to use reinforced concrete on French territory.
Today, it has become Oran's public library and welcomes numerous Oranese students each day.
Cathédrale du Sacré-Cœur
Boulevard Hammou Bou Tlélis
Place de la Kahina