Musical interlude at Valldemossa charterhouse

arts and culture unusual
Musical interlude at Valldemossa charterhouse

In the heart of the Serra de Tramuntana valley, in a cloister formerly occupied by Carthusian monks from 1399 to 1835, Chopin composed his preludes.

During the winter of 1838, the writer George Sand, her two children and the composer Frederic Chopin, settled in the heart of the village of Valldemossa, in cell no. 4 – three rooms and a garden - of a former chartreuse cloister. Located 17 kilometres from Palma and 400 metres above sea level, this haven was to improve the health of the musician who was suffering from tuberculosis. Camille Pleyel even had a piano delivered from Paris. Charmed by the poetry of the area and sublime landscapes, Frederic Chopin composed his cycle of 24 Preludes, op. 28 and his 2nd Ballade, op. 38 here. At the end of the season, Frederic's health continued to deteriorate, and the small group had to rush back to France. Over winter, the myth was born. Chopin or George Sand lovers will enjoy visiting the furnished rooms where the two artists lived, but also the library which holds the works that only the monks were allowed to borrow. The chartreuse offers a beautiful view of the Serra de Tramuntana valley. Not to be missed at the end of the tour: some of Chopin's works performed by a local pianist.

Valldemossa Chartreuse
Plaça de la Cartoixa, s/n
07170 Valldemossa

+34 971 61 21 06

www.cartujadevalldemossa.com