Built in the late 16th century, the São Roque church belonged to the Society of Jesus and was for centuries the most important Jesuit church in the Portuguese-speaking world.
Its story is particularly original because the São Baptista chapel, one of the main buildings, was designed in Rome, in Italian marble and materials, between 1742 and 1747. It was then transported by boat from Italy to Portugal to be reassembled, like a jigsaw puzzle, on its current location. The building's design, modelled on a Baroque style church-hall, is quite simple, but the interior is full of ornaments and contains many one-of-a-kind pieces.
Take time to check out the paintings by Zurbaran and the reliquaries dating from the 14th to the 18th centuries.
Igreja de São Roque
Largo Trindade Coelho
+351 (0)21 346 0361