The ruins of the church and convent of the Carmelites are a remnant of this outstanding Gothic monument, destroyed during the terrible earthquake that occurred on 1 November 1755.
The convent was founded by Nuno Álvares Pereira in 1389 to house the Carmelite brothers of Moura. The institutions of the city have always wanted to keep the buildings in their ruined state in order to show the effects of the violent earthquake that shook the entire region. The church now houses the Archaeological Museum of Lisbon. The main exhibits are from the Palaeolithic and Neolithic periods. Among the highlights are medieval sarcophagi, Roman and Visigoth objects, and even Peruvian mummies. In the spring, classical music concerts are held under the jacarandas.
This place holds a symbolic place in the history of the country for another reason: the Carmo square at the foot of the monastery is where the Portuguese ended the Salazar dictatorship during the Carnation Revolution of 1974.
Largo do Carmo